Saturday, March 28, 2009

Ty Nye The Science Guy

A few weeks back while watching Max and Ruby, Ruby and her friend built a volcano for a scout project. Well, Tyler and I decided you neither had to be a cartoon bunny or a scout to create one of our own at home. The project started last night, continued with painting this morning, and this afternoon we made it erupt! The project was very fun, and while the actual eruption was not as dramatic as I had envisioned- it is a project I would absolutely recommend to anyone with kids over the age of 3.

Tyler and I first taped down a empty plastic bottle to a cardboard box. We then mixed 6 cups of flour, 2 cups of salt, and 4 Tbsp. of cooking oil to make play dough.
We then molded the play dough around the bottle in the shape of a volcano. We did let it dry overnight, but found it was still moist in the morning but still paintable.
After mixing paint to create just the right grey (or silver as Tyler says), we painted- added lava and rocks collected at the playground the night before.

The eruption!!!! Add 4 Tbsp. of water, 1/4 cup vinegar, orange food coloring, a few drops of detergent into the bottle. Put 1 Tbsp. of baking soda into a small square of tissue and drop it in. YOUR OWN EXPLODING VOLCANO!!!!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: