Here is how it happened. Carson was swiffering the floor in the kitchen while I was folding clothes in my bedroom. I heard the toilet flush and ran to see WHAT was being flushed. Little did I realize that Carson had also taken it upon himself to swiffer the hall. I hit a puddle of cleaner and next thing I know I am flat on my back. It happened so fast. And this was not one of those slip on a banana peel funny falls. I landed as hard as I could have possibly landed on my back. I heard a crash which was my sunglasses hitting the front door- which was 10 feet away. I laid there stunned and writhing in pain. The wind was knocked out of me and I could hear myself gasping for air. I have only one other time in my life gotten the wind knocked out of me- when I was 8 years old in my grandmother's basement. I was balancing on this table that when turned over was like a giant spool of thread. You could actually push on the sides like a wheelchair while balancing in the middle and scoot forward as it rolled. I remembered that incident today as I was lying there trying not to hyperventilate, thinking to myself that my oxygen would come back soon.
The problem was not just the lack of oxygen- I was paralyzed with pain. I have never had a back injury and I did not realize one could be in such pain without having an actual break. I was crying, wheezing, shaking and every time I even tried to get up I almost vomited. At this point in the day, Tyler was still in school (and needing to be picked up in 25 minutes). Tommy was at work, Ella asleep on our bed, and Carson thought I was playing around and was jumping on me laughing. I kept telling him to get the phone and sadly realized what I always wondered- if in a real emergency, would he be of any real help? I found my answer today and the answer is no. He smiled- jumped and babbled until he saw me start to get more vocal in my crying. At this point he joined me. So Carson is scared and hysterical. I am scared and hysterical trying to do the math and figure out when someone might actually come by my house to check on me when I never pick up Tyler from school. After about 20 minutes I crawl to the bedroom and spend another 10 trying to stand. I call Tommy. He cannot understand a word I am saying- I am gasping for breath and crying at the same time. I text him that I have had an accident and to come home immediately.
By the time I am call back and try to actually explain what happened, he is almost home. He walks in to find me panting on the couch- body straight as a board. It feels like someone has put a straight jacket on me and my muscles running along my spine are shooting spasms up and down my sides. Tommy goes to get Tyler and does not return to work for the rest of the day.
I spend the rest of the day crying, taking Tylenol and hot baths. Just now, at 9:30pm am I able to pick up Ella and sort of bend over. I still cannot twist- lean back- lean forward or get comfortable. I have never been this stove up in my life and short of childbirth have never felt such raw pain.
So that has been my day. I am praying that tomorrow I will feel better. I will never take my back for granted again.
5 comments:
Oh Jen!!! That is so scary! I hope you feel better soon. Maybe a Chiropractor would help? I have never been, but I hear they are awesome.
WOW!!! I am so sorry that happened...how scary for everyone involved!! I hope today you are feeling much better, if not go to the doctor! Oh, and did you ever find out what was being flushed?
I do hope that you are feeling better today!!!!! PLEASE -- if you guys need anything at all - don't hesitate to call me!
We know what it is like to be where you've got no family around! Let us help any way we can!
oh - and Carson and Ella can come to the party too if you want to bring them -- just let me know. BUt the I also understand wanting to bring just the one =) You decide -- just let me know so I make sure I have enough food =)
Feeling so much better today!!!! Very still and sore but the shooting pains are gone!
Gosh Jennifer! I'm glad your feeling better, but that is scary. When I lay on the floor for my ab exercises the little ones think I'm playing an try to jump on me, or Lydia like to try and hold me down when I'm trying to come up, so I think if I had been in your position, it would have gone the same way... Is that any consolation?
Post a Comment