Monday, January 7, 2008

King Of Stall

Sometimes I get so caught up in the nuances of everyday tasks with Tyler that only when I go to bed at night, or have to time think about something he has said or done does it strike me that he is absolutely hilarious. The latest trick of Tyler's is stalling when it is time to nap or go to bed at night. The hysterical part to Tommy and I, is not that he is trying to stall, but that the stalling tactics become more advanced every day.

For the last week or so, when Tyler is suppost to be in bed, he will run in our room while we are resting or watching tv and point to each of us and tell us our names and then run out of the room just as fast before we can even get on to him. Literally- he will run in and yell, "Momma, Daddy, and Ty!" while pointing and then take off. Cute, but after about the 10th time at 10:00pm it gets old.

Last night, he decided to mix things up. After putting him in bed, he strolls into our room and in the most pitiful voice begs for water. How can you argue that he is not thirsty? Clever. Tyler gets water and then proceeds to his room. The priceless part was him gulping down the water and looking at us almost to convince us of his thirst. My child did inherit some of my flare for theatrics.

Tonight was the topper. Anticipating the water stunt, I brought him a glass before he went to bed. He almost looked disappointed. So, as Tommy and I are sitting in bed awaiting his next move-sure enough, we hear little feet padding down the hall. Tyler shuffles up to the bed with blue bear and blue blanket in tow and declares, "I pooped". Tommy and I about lose it with laughter. Tommy says, "Tyler, did you really poop?"(like any parent would make their child return to bed with a messy diaper). Tyler looks back and forth at us trying to decide if he should carry on with his fib. He decides to. "Un hu." We pick him up to obviously discover he has no poop in his diaper and therefore return to bed.

It is a little sad to admit, but we find this very entertaining and almost look forward to seeing the strategy he will employ each night. I am sure that this will become less amusing once Carson arrives and we are juggling two getting to bed.

No comments: