Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Meeting Dr. Bass

Tonight I was able to attend a presentation at the University of Tennessee by Dr. Bill Bass, the world's leading forensic anthropologist. Anyone from Tennessee (in particular Knoxville) is very familiar with "The Body Farm"- a parcel of land on UT's agriculture campus that studies decomposing bodies in various stages and environments. Dr. Bass' work has not only made him famous in his field, but he is also a renowned author. His first book, Death's Acre, details his work on the body farm and follows high profile crime cases he assisted. Tonight's presentation was on cremation. It was fascinating to hear him talk and gave new incite to a funeral ritual that I knew little about (and after tonight something I would NEVER consider).



This may come as a surprise to most, but I am not shy when it comes to introductions ... or getting what I want. Before the presentation started, I basically bum rushed Dr. Bass with book and camera in hand. He was the nicest man I have ever met and humored me well past the point of what I deserved or what the majority of the population would have.





I got a little carried away half way through the photo op and was overcome by his generosity. He was a really good sport to put it mildly. 

 

After the presentation, the auditorium was opened for questions. Only a handful got selected to ask Dr. Bass a question. My hand was the second one in the air, followed by the insightful question of "What happens to bones and prosthetics that are too large or just unable to process? Does the funeral home give the remains to the family or dispose of the excess?" He said that most the bones were ground up but sometimes a really fat person has bone left over and they usually give it to the family in a separate bag. Nice.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I am jealous! I loved his book and briefly wanted to be a forensic anthropologist (until I remembered that I have a really strong sense of smell). How cool!

The Reid Family said...

Seriously! I knew we were kindred spirits. We must have been sisters in our former lives. This is great! You are the coolest person ever!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you didn't think to invite me! And I thought I was one of your friend.