Friday, June 26, 2009

Walk Around The Sun

Today was a really big day for Tyler. First, it was his last day at June Bug Camp (which is held at his Montessori school)- and also Tyler got to celebrate his birthday early with a wonderful Montessori tradition. The event is called "Walk Around The Sun"- and since Tyler has a summer birthday, his teacher Mrs. Ella let us celebrate early. Apparently this ritual is very exciting for the birthday child, and not knowing what to expect- we came with camera and video in tow.
The event started with lighting a candle, while all the other classmates sat in chairs around the table watching.
Tommy and I were asked to bring in a birth picture of Tyler, one year picture, two year picture and three year picture. Mrs. Ella then held up each picture for the class to see and Tommy and I were able to share stories about each picture and talk about that time in Tyler's life. (And no, I did not cry- I was so proud of myself. I kept the stories very light- especially his birth story).
Then came the exciting part! After each picture, Tyler held a globe of the Earth and made a circle around the candle- symbolizing the Earth traveling around the sun for every year he was old. The class sang a special song each time Tyler traveled around the room.

After Tyler completed his four times around the sun, he got to make a wish and blow out the candle. Then we all sang the traditional "Happy Birthday" song and feasted on peach cobbler and ice cream. His wish by the way was to go and get to play in the pool. This was such a sweet and special way to recognize Tyler's birthday. Thank you Mrs. Ella for always putting such thought into each child.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: