Friday, November 28, 2008

Close Call For "Woody"

This morning we were all sitting in the living room when we heard this loud thud against the window. I ran outside on the porch to see this little red-headed woodpecker laying on the porch. After I was sure it was not dead and just in shock, I let Tyler come out to admire it up close in my hands. About the time I was to set the bird down, our feathered friend flew out of my hands and through the open door inside our home, and up to the 12 ft. rafters.

As you can imagine, Tommy starts with a string of words that no one would want a 3 year old repeating and I run in circles trying to figure out how to get it before it starts pooping on our furniture or boring holes in the wall (we keep it together in stressful situations).

Ironically, the woodpecker flies into the kitchen and hits another window and lands in the sink. I ran and retrieved the bird and Tyler and I took it outside and sat beside it until it came out of shock for the second time. Finally, "Woody" took flight and safely found a tree.

Moral of the story: Do do check on an injured bird with the door open.

No comments: