This morning I took Tyler to the much anticipated "Karaoke Day" at the local library. This day was combining two of Tyler's favorite activities: being the center of attention and singing. I thought the morning could not go wrong. How wrong I turning out to be. The event started off positive enough with Tyler volunteering to go first with song renditions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and innocent enough "Old McDonald". Everyone clapped, I cheered and took pictures. Here is where it started to go downhill...it became someone else's turn. Tyler had problems sharing the stage and literally turning over the mic. Here is where it went from bad to couldn't possibly get worst. After the teacher made comments that Tyler had sang a lot of songs and the floor was open to other kids- Tyler stayed up to sing along with the other groups. I hustled to the front to herd Tyler back to the audience and he had the meltdown of all meltdowns with no warning. Now I know when I type this, readers are going to think "Surely, she has seen this type of behavior before". I promise you (and why would I lie, I did not have to even post this event) that this was the first time Tyler has ever acted this way....The following events are what took place after I tried to direct Tyler to the back of the room. First he yells, "Stop it! I don't want to be touched!" Then he swung his casted arm to get away- hitting the librarian and that little girl in the purple leotard. Followed by lots of gasps and silence. I snatched Tyler and said we were leaving. Parents were helping me to try to find his shoes so I could exit. By the time I made it to the car, I was broken out in hives and had a headache from sudden spike in blood pressure (which is still with me almost 7 hours later). Oh, and to top it all off- Tyler's new preschool teacher and two of our neighbors were in the audience to witness this scene from hell.
All I will leave you with is that we have all gone to the library to apologize extensively and I will never be taking him to a karaoke bar in the future. Parenthood is very humbling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
I know I should be sympathetic to your traumatic experience... but instead I just giggle!!! It's about time you felt the rath of a true meltdown that makes you want to hide and pretend they aren't yours, beat them back into their normal self, pretend they aren't even yours, or laugh through your tears because that might help take some of the attention off how badly your child is acting!!!! Sorry this wasn't the response you were hoping for, but I'm still laughing if that's any help!!!
Oops, see I was laughing so hard I repeated myself about pretending they aren't yours... or maybe that was some kind of Freudian thing:)
Thank you for your sympathy, I can always count on you Michelle. Trust me- I am not immune to being embarrassed- this one just took the cake. I called my mom today and said, "No matter what I did growing up- I did not deserve what happened today." She just laughed.
Wow! That is bad! I am so sorry that happened to you. Now, with that being said, I do not want you to throw yourself into an early labor with this girl. From now on, NO more outside experiences with Tyler. It seems like his triggers are Wal-Mart check-out line and the library. So, what does that leave us? Not sure other than the playground or adventured only with Tommy. I love you girl! Meltdowns are horrible! I get so embarrassed easily, so that doesn't help either. I get the "oh, you have your hands full" comment all the time & it makes me just want to SMACK the person who says that to me. Instead, I smile & say, "We like having a big family & the adventures that come with it.".
The other day, Gavin said to me, "Why do you act one way in public and then when we get in the car, you act another?" I said, "because you act one way when we are together and then act another when we are in public".
Fun, Fun!
I understand he redeemed himself tonight, which is good. I just thought you might like to let him look at this post:
Tyler Click Here
Grandpa
Post a Comment