Today was one of the best days I have had since moving here- almost out of a storybook. Tommy has started work this week and with yesterday not being the best day ever, I decided to try something new. The boys and I hit downtown Dillsboro, which is about 1/4 mile from our house. We started our adventure at Haircuts by Jill. Both boys received fabulous new styles and suckers for a very reasonable rate. Since moving here, I just assumed all establishments would accept plastic. Nope- cash or check only. The biggest difference of where we live now is when I announce I have to return with payment and that I can leave a card for insurance of my return I am met with, "No, don't leave anything. I will be here till 5:30ish- or just catch me later in the week." You cannot beat that- and yes, we paid trusting Jill within 20 minutes. While getting haircuts, Jill mentioned that Thomas The Train was being loaded up across the street. We were not able to make the exhibit over the weekend in Bryson City, but were all about walking across the street for a photo.
The neatest part was that all of the conductors were on site and Tyler got to meet them, watch Thomas being hooked up to leave and made nice enough with one man to get a personal tour of the parts up close. I love this town. After watching Thomas for a while on the train station porch, we walked back across the street to shop in the stores. All of the storefronts look like something out of a magazine- hanging baskets, separated by fountains and cafes flanked by covered porches. Everything is within walking distance of each other and the two streets (Front street and Back Street- not their official names) are connected by a cut through shaded path with hanging swing chairs. We found something really special for Tyler's grandmother- who has a birthday this Friday(get excited Marsha), and then walk it over to the post office.
We head back across the street to the Whistle Stop Cafe for lunch where Tyler and Carson are captivated by the train running on a track around the ceiling of the restaurant. Maybe the calmest lunch we have ever had. Then the majority of the group voted for going once again across the street to get milkshakes at Bradley's General Store. I had Moose Tracks, Ty had strawberry and Carson had the majority of both of ours.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I want to move there! C'mon, Shannon, let's ditch this dive!
We ate at Whistle stop last year!! It really is the neatest town... something very nostalgic about the whole feel!!!
OMG, can I live there? I keep trying to decided if I want to move somewhere that I either disappear, or stick out like a new sore thumb. Right now I'm leaning towards the sore thumb thanks to you Jennifer.
And you totally topped my day which consisted of car dealers, test driving, and driving home in my same old van (all with a not happy Lydia in tow).
And Wendy, I am so with you!
That's it, when can we come and visit?
Post a Comment